Command Centre: 2021 Improvements

First off, having the command center as a node operator is already a big step above many projects that also have staking node type concepts, props to the team and yourself for setting the bar where it is. As echoed by other members of the community, it would be great if we were able to withdraw multiple nodes of income in one transaction, as opposed to the current UX that makes users withdraw from each node.

1. I check my node status daily making sure everything is operational, I check the volume, and toggle between monthly, weekly, and totals.

2. I would like to see a graphical representation of the volume through the network separated by MINT and BURN, in the same chart as found at darknodes.online. I find that the graphs seem to be represented in USD which shows volatility as markets have been moving a lot lately, but since BTC is our largest wrapped product charting in BTC might give us all a better idea of how we are doing, in terms of lower TVL if the chart was graphed in BTC

3. Darknodes.online is where I go, Dune Analytics also has nice features, I think adopting some of their visuals is nice, is it mission-critical perhaps not, but it does help most people contextualize the issues before us like raising fees, volume, integrator volume, growth, etc.

4. Yes, I wait for every other epoch since the income is still very low. The process is simple, and intuitive in how it lets you select your preferred withdrawal, as mentioned above I would like to see a way to withdraw from all nodes at the same time, in one gas transaction if possible.

5. One upgrade would be the ability to withdraw all earned fees at the same time.

Thank you again for all the hard work!

2 Likes

A point about withdrawing all fees in one transaction: we can definitely do this, but it would not save gas. Still worth doing, because it is a nicer UX, but just thought I’d point that out.

4 Likes

Brilliant, thank you Preston. Would you be open to being contacted in the future regarding feedback on UIs?

Anytime! You know where to find me

Firstly I would like to thank you and the team for putting together the CC.

• What do you use the CC for?

I check the CC almost daily. Mostly volume per day, registered nodes and the breakdown of daily volume by asset.

• Do you find some data missing from the CC?

Breakdown by epoch and ability to see volume by asset. I think an overlooked addition would be a FAQ for new Darknode operators. This could include all possible bugs and issues that new operators likely to encounter during registration. Currently all questions come through the tg and 90% of the time are easily remedied. It would reduce work for admins and streamline discussion on the tg so we can focus on other topics.

• Do you use third party websites (such as Dune Analytics) to track metrics that you think could be folded into the CC?

Coingecko, Dune analytics, Token terminal and darknodes.online.
Dune anaytics would provide a lot of functionality missing in the CC.

• Do you operate a Darknode, if so, how often do you withdraw your rewards? Is the process easy?

I withdraw every epoch. The process is time-consuming but straightforward. I would like to see a feature to extract all fees in one transaction. Minting to a stablecoin would be nice especially when we have more assets.

• If you could change one thing about the Command Centre, what would it be?

FAQ section.

** I would prefer a single page interface rather than have all the info spread across multiple tabs. You could get a better snapshot of the network rather than having to click and wait for the page to load.

** Lightmode

3 Likes

If we’re talking nicer UX but not entirely necessary, it would also help to have the ability to add ETH to every node in one transaction as well.

To this point, in addition to “dark node operator,” another user we can build user stories around is “multiple node operator.”

I guess each functionality a node operator has with the option to do that for every node (dare I say registration as well)

Typo: meant deregistration but it works for both

2 Likes

Sneak peek: node operators will soon not need ETH to correctly claim their fees. This will be rolled out by the time the new CC is being implemented, so no need for this feature :wink:

20 Likes
  • An easy route to provision node to another server by simple command, or run a slave node that could pop-up if main node goes offline, avoiding potential slashing.
  • DDNS/or dynamic IPs or IP overlay so static IPs are not needed (this would also allow VPN/Tor, node privacy will strengthen network)

First I’d like to mention that I think the team did a great job with the initialdashboard! Cheers for that.

Personally, I check it everyday to:

• make sure my nodes are still healthy
  • check the accumulated fees on my node in this epoch
  • check the network volume, since I check it daily I’m most interested in the daily volume
  • check which assets contributed to the daily volume
  • see how our TVL is developing from the “Value Minted” chart

To a lesser extend I also use the dashboard to:

• check the integrators tab to see which integrations are contributing to the volume
  • check the Darknodes tab to see how many additional nodes will come online in the next epoch
  • withdraw rewards, but not every epoch to save on gas

The Dashboard does a lot of things very well for me, observing the health of my nodes and seeing how much fees they have accrued is easy.

However, there are ofcourse some improvements that I can think of (might be mentioned already by others):

• See history of withdrawals and/or previous epoch fees (though honestly I would still track withdrawals separately in a spreadsheet for my own accounting, so not very high priority)
  • A separation of mint/burn volume on the Network tab, currently I just use the “Value minted” to gauge the difference between mint/burn but would be great if we can see this in the Volume graph
  • Once other assets become more prominent it would be useful to graph them separately as well

Comments on some of the other suggestions:

• “APY on initial investment”:

Personally I don’t think financial aggregates like this belong on the dashboard.

• “Withdraw/get rewards in DAI”:

Reading the other comments it sounds like not everyone is talking about the same thing here. Just to clarify I see two different things that could get conflated:

1. accrue fee’s in one particular token (e.g. DAI), either immediately or when it moves from Pending to Withdrawable
  2. withdraw token X as token Y (e.g. withdraw BTC as DAI)

While (1) in principle sounds like a useful feature, I do not think it is part of this discussion as it pertains to more than just the UI layer.

As for withdrawing in a different token, personally I don’ t think this needs to be a feature of the dashboard. This would require integrating with a 3rd party platform such as Uniswap and you can never satisfy everyone as to which platform should be supported. Personally I like to choose myself where to perform the swap.
Additionally, I do not run all nodes from the same wallet, so I would likely prefer to first consolidate the tokens to a single wallet before performing the swap.

I would like to see some improvement on the darknode map. It does not correctly show the number or location of darknodes.
Thank you

Thanks for your insights everyone. Everything has been collected into a document and prioritised for the CC v2.

If you’re interested in being part of an on-going discussion around the Command Center v2, please reach out via DM or to me on Twitter

Thanks again, super insightful!