RIP-000-002: Increase mint fee to 0.3% on November 16th (start of Epoch 6)

Against -
I would wait one more epoch before changing the fees, not sure we can conclude much after one epoch with the current fee level. Also, I’d prefer a 5bp change in fees instead of 10bps.

3 Likes

Hello fRENS,

I have read all of your comments and I am the type of person that follows the clear data. Data does not lie!

With that said, I am in full support of increasing the minting fee to 0.3% since our income increased by 62% in minting activities as mentioned by DeFi Frog (5.3 BTC > 8.6 BTC)

I think It is very important to keep the BSC minting fee at 0.1% after RenVM launch until Binance Smart Chain picks up some steam.

FEEL THE REN :fire: :fire:

3 Likes

Fees should not be set according to the best temporary interest rate offered by some possibly dangerous defi product, this is short sighted and will hinder further use cases. It is far better to enable many complex and short term transactions with low fees in order to increase the volume to value locked ratio. We want people to move between multiple chains economically to perform arbitrage, trades and shift their capital often.he security of the system.

Renvm should be in a rapid growth phase and to see volume not increasing each epoch is both a concern and a reason not to raise fees. Many services offer 0 or reduced fees to begin with in order to encourage adoption.

Most users will stick with the first interop service they use unless there is a very good reason to change, first mover advantage is very important, see bitcoin and supposed ethereum killers.

This RIP is being rejected, mainly for structural reasons. It has the wrong status, it offers no timeline for when the next vote should occur for re-adjusting the fee (not necessarily bad, but it is when the RIP explicitly discusses a future re-adjustment), it offers conditions for raising again to 0.4% and lowering to 0.2% but also suggests an un-detailed and conflicting path for keeping fees at 0.3%, and it offers no details into the implementation. Please review About the Ren Improvement Proposals | RIP category. This post, as-is, would have been more suited to an RFC so that the above details could be worked through and modified over the course of the discussion.

It is also reasonably clear from this post, however, that increasing the mint fee is generally seen as favourable. Although, many have advocated for a slightly lower increase, and I feel inclined to agree (although I would rather an increase to 0.3% over no increase). An alternative has been proposed in RIP-000-003.

Having said the above, thank you @akinsawyerr for putting this together and getting the conversation started.

2 Likes

Mission accomplished. The point was to get the conversation going to gauge over all consensus. That was achieved.

Criticisms on the RIP duly noted.

3 Likes