Ren x Alameda AMA

People…vote!!! this stuff is going to go overlooked since they are only taking 15 that they WANT to take.

Simple question. Why should we continue to stay with this project and invest time and money into it? Things move at a snail pace, there is no roadmap formally, and right now, the benefits of staying seem to be outweighed by the progress and of moving in a more fastidious way to gain velocity and volume. The whole excitement of the project has worn off if you follow channels. It has become a coin that people just spot trade for the small volatility. Darknode holders are not seeing a future as now as much as before.

2 Likes

Because it is well-capitalized, Alameda’s investment strategy seems to be “spread our bets and see what works out best”, in the area of blockchain interoperability (from an outsider’s perpsective). It has invested in a number of different potential solutions and Ren appears to be just one of them.

Can the team describe the investment thesis behind its interoperability plays and how Ren fits within this strategy?

31 Likes

From an integration and decentralization perspective has the Alameda acquisition harmed the team’s ability to engage with potential partners around integrations? Are they less willing to integrate because RenVM is owned by a “competitor” or entity they do not wish to give additional power to in DeFi (a centralized entity Alameda, with a less than stellar reputation in DeFi due to its past trading practices)?

6 Likes

Can the team quantify the specific impact the Alameda acquisition will have on projected volume for RenVM over the next 12-24 months? Could we see a 5 or 10x increase in darknode volume due to this acquisition? (We’ve seen a decline in darknode volume over the last few epochs.)

13 Likes

What does the partnership plan to do for mass adoption? We have seen technically great product like EOSIO and RethinkDB (real-time database) but they fail to get mass adoption of the technology.

1 Like

1. What level of involvement does Alameda have in the development of the RenVM, are they actively contributing to the code, marketing and direction?

2. Does this direction involve the RenVM being able to port more ERC20 tokens between Ethereum & Solana above what is currently supported (enabling Smart Contract Compatability)?

3. I have been invested in RenVM since the ICO, run DarkNodes and have great faith in the team. I much prefer Ren’s approach of not having announcements of announcements of announcements (Thinking of a project being with an R…) and delivering well above expectations. However, from an optics perspective, I do find it concerning that the figurehead from the company that ‘acquihired’ Ren doesn’t even acknowledge Ren’s existence as a Bridge to Solana (See supporting screenshot taken from Twitter.)

Based Karbon has been a big Ren supporter previously, so this was obviously (in my eyes) a leading question. Can the Ren Team comment/elaborate on at what level Ren will act as a bridge to the Solana ecosystem, taking into consideration the bridges that already exist?

35 Likes

well said…my first q was similar but not as well said.

@Zeta_Tauri — I like your questions a lot — especially #3. I recognize they sort of build on each other, so it’s hard to post separately, but I wonder if the spokesperson will decline to respond to 2 & 3 since they look like three questions in one post, which @CCC encouraged us to split out. Do you think you could do a split out version so that we can upvote the parts we want them to focus on — so that they don’t just answer #1?

1 Like

Question meant for SBF - is there intention to implement a RenVM bridge to eth, bsc, solana, and dot on FTX and Serum? Would you incentivize usage of the bridge with FTT/SRM tokens?

Would you refrain from having the trading pair of btc<>renBTC on FTX in order to push bridge usage?

25 Likes

Question for both parties - if you cannot share financial details of the deal, can you share any background and other key terms of the deal? Such as…

1. how did this deal come to be,
  2. what were the high level business agreements
  3. what specific tangible benefits/“resources” does alameda research provide the Ren team that the Ren team did not have access to prior?

All in all, how does Ren fit into SBF’s grand strategy for building out his ecosystem?

34 Likes

Great Qs. Hope they take the time to answer all.

1 Like

1. What level of involvement does Alameda have in the development of the RenVM, are they actively contributing to the code, marketing and direction?

10 Likes

2. Is Alameda assisting RenVM being able to port ERC20 tokens between Ethereum & Solana above what is currently supported (enabling Smart Contract Compatability), acting as a ‘main’ bridge between the two ecosystems?

Note - I’m aware there will be multiple bridges between chains. I’m asking this question more because the bridge multichain.xyz is porting assets across to EVM compatible chains without any prefix prior to the name (e.g. it isn’t renTKN). I assume this is because the contract address that they are minted from is the official one which is accepted by that chain?

5 Likes

3. I have been invested in RenVM since the ICO, currently run DarkNodes and have great faith in the Ren team. I much prefer Ren’s approach of not having announcements of announcements of announcements ( Thinking of a certain project being with an R… ) and delivering well above expectations. However, from an optics perspective, I do find it concerning that the figurehead from the company that ‘acquihired’ Ren doesn’t even acknowledge Ren’s existence as a Bridge to Solana ( See supporting screenshot taken from Twitter. )

Based Karbon has been a big Ren supporter previously, so this was obviously (in my eyes) a leading question. Can the Ren Team comment/elaborate on at what capacity Ren will act as a bridge to the Solana ecosystem, taking into consideration the bridges that already exist? Do Ren’s expectations align with Alameda’s on this?

24 Likes

Is the partnership concluded for an indefinite period of time or is it limited by some deadline, key goals (milestones)?

2 Likes

What are the obligations of the Ren team and which of the Alameda team, which arise from the partnership?

3 Likes

Is there a possibility of unilaterally leaving the partnership without harmful consequences/penalties?

5 Likes

How can darknode operators, who now each have a minimum of $100k at risk, be made confident that this relationship will not create conflicts of interest between us, the devs and Alameda. Personally, I run the darknode to acquire bitcoin and help facilitate its usage. Most else that accumulates in it is noise to me. Development direction that does not promote renBTC (or the core promise of decentralizaton) sounds like noise to me. Why should operators like me not be concerned, when a major backer of an infant blockchain buys out our devs?

16 Likes

Since Asylo implementation announcement was two weeks before Alameda partnership announcement, is the implementation of Asylo in order to ignore TVL and TVB ratio is obligated in order to continue the partnership and the possibility to handle high volume/TVL?

5 Likes