RFC-000-030: Deprecate use of the name "RenVM"

Name: Deprecate use of the name “RenVM”
Category: Other
Scope: Refer to the core product as “Ren” in all marketing, branding, social media, logos, and other non-technical contexts.

Overview

This proposal suggests deprecating use of the name “RenVM” in favor of “Ren” when referring to the core product in all branding, marketing, social media campaigns, logos, and other non-technical contexts. “RenVM” refers to the decentralized virtual machine, more commonly known as the network of Darknodes. “Ren” as a protocol refers to the combination of RenVM and its set of smart contracts, which includes the Darknode contracts on Ethereum and gateway contracts on supported smart contract chains. It is generally the protocol (which includes the decentralized VM) (as opposed to just the decentralized VM) that the wider community is actually referring to. “Ren” is also cleaner. <insert Justin Timberlake gif of "Drop the ‘the’, it’s cleaner>

Background

RenVM would not be of as much use without smart contracts. For example, when minting renBTC on Ethereum, the user first retrieves a minting signature from RenVM and then must submit that signature to the renBTC gateway contract, which verifies the signature and mints renBTC. Other features like host-to-host, the layer 0 and layer 1 (yes, both), boundless liquidity, and cross-chain accounts would not be so without gateway contracts that lock and release token assets on smart contract chains.

Implementation

Strict use of “Ren” in all branding, marketing, social media campaigns, and logos. In more technical contexts, like developer documentation, it may be beneficial to differentiate RenVM and Ren.

7 Likes

Interesting. I need a moment to get used to this, but can definitely see the positive sides.

This is so simple and correct, that it’s genius! <3

3 Likes

I don’t mind using only #Ren $Ren going forward… Would be nice to think of something easier than #PoweredByRen as well

1 Like

What about #PBR? PeeBeeAre :laughing:

ok

…I know, it’s not great :grimacing:

I agree RenVM should be deprecated when referring to the protocol name. One thing that comes to mind, the protocol will bear the same name as the underlying coin. Wouldn’t it be confusing somehow?

I can see benefits to this reasoning, but also feel “Powered by RenVM” sounds more catchy than “Powered by Ren” to me (noting “powered” and “machine” are relatable terms).

RenVM: the decentralized virtual machine, or network of Darknodes
Ren: the protocol, which includes RenVM and the Darknode and gateway smart contracts
Ren Labs: the team building Ren
REN: the ERC-20 token

7 Likes

I’m liking it!