One thing that I think all long-term holders will agree on is that Ren is massively underappreciated as a project in the cross-chain bridging space. Ren has the foundations to become the ‘goto’ cross-chain bridge, with over 12 Billion dollars in volume all with zero exploits. Not to mention the upcoming developments in decentralization and tokenomics.
But we’re missing one major factor. Hype.
Memes are incomparably efficient at sharing information. This is something we believe that Ren has failed to utilize. What we propose is a hub for collaboration, sharing and incentivization of short-form visual content (memes etc) with the goal of bringing more investors and users to the Ren ecosystem.
Introducing WenRen.io - A platform that enables users to seamlessly upload, share and tip Ren-related memes. Each month the community will select their favorite memes. The selected creators will receive a share of a monthly prize pool.
We will also be creating a WenRen Twitter account to increase platform exposure as well as having a separate avenue for communication between users and the development team. Featured memes and WenRen news will be posted to this Twitter.
WenRen.io will increase awareness of the Ren project and will benefit all stakeholders in the Ren ecosystem, including retail investors, node operators and bridge users. This is because there will be a constant stream of Ren-related content being shared on social media platforms.
The WenRen.io media hub will have the following features:
- View the latest and most shared memes
- Contribute to the monthly prize pool
- Share memes directly to social media (using Twitter and Instagram social sharing buttons)
- Upload original content
- Tip favorite memes (we would like feedback on whether the community thinks tipping should be in bridged assets, Ethereum or Ren)
- Desktop and mobile compatible
When a user uploads an image they will be requested to provide their public address (so that they can receive tips). At this point the image will be held ‘under review’ until one of the community moderators reviews and either approves or denies the image. Images will only be denied if they are inappropriate, false or spam.
Although there are no major execution risks, creating a user-friendly interface is of high importance and the community may wish to make revisions on our initial designs which could cause slight delays. Coding and deployment of this project is of low risk as both developers are beyond competent in their respective fields.
We think that it is important that the monthly prize pool will eventually become self-funded. This means that the only operational cost of this project would be server rent and domain renewal. There is a risk that the community does not step forward to fund this themselves. In which case more funds will be required to incentivize content creators. This could be reduced in value or frequency if required.
There is a risk that the platform could be used to spread negative narratives, spam or inappropriate content. We will combat this by using ReCaptcha (to prevent bots) as well as a team of community moderators.
During the development stage we will provide the DAO with regular reports on progress as well as seeking community feedback on the initial design of the user interface. As the platform approaches completion we will encourage members from the community to provide feedback on a private beta launch.
- Increased Ren TVT
- Notable increase in Ren-related memes on social media
- Reward pool contributions
The total time to deliver on this proposal will be no more than 3 months after receiving funding. The stages of development can be broken down into the following:
- UI design/feedback (estimated 2-3 weeks)
- Backend development (3-4 weeks)
- Frontend development (2-3 weeks)
- User testing/feedback (1-2 weeks)
- Deployment (Less than 1 week)
We do not want to rush any of these stages and think that open communication with the community is always the best approach. We will ensure that our progress is completely transparent through regular reports to the DAO.
- Jamesy - $3,000 per month (x3)
- Ben - $3,000 per month (x3)
Monthly Prize Pool ($500 per month) - $1,500
Operational Costs (3 months):
- Domain name (billed per annum) - $49
- Server rent - $600* (*Server rent is an estimate based on predicted usage. If usage is below this threshold then funds can be rolled into prize pools or refunded.)
Total Cost (Development + 3 months operations + prize pool) - $20,149
We are a two man team of developers that frequently work together on web2 and web3 projects. We’re excited about the future of Ren and have been long-term darknode operators that believe in a cross-chain future for cryptocurrency.
Jamesy - Backend developer:
- BSc Computer Science
- Experienced with Python and Rust
- Engaged in the cryptocurrency space since early 2017
Ben - Frontend developer:
- Experienced with JS, HTML and CSS
- Part-time developer at a UK-based web development firm
- Ren holder since public sale in early 2018
Thank you for taking the time to consider this proposal. We are looking forward to hearing any feedback or questions you might have and will make ourselves available daily to answer questions in the Discord or forum.
- Approve Funding
- Reject Proposal